Last Updated on February 23, 2023 by Rashid Hassan
As individuals, we are often told that we need to get fit and reduce our weight, as this would increase our endurance and build resistance. Little did we know that carbon fiber was doing all of it! Primarily used in the aerospace and automotive industries, it is durable, strong, has a fabulous strength-to-weight ratio, improved resistance, and is lightweight. But this is probably what we already know, right?
What’s buzzing now?
News is rife that carbon fiber has been introduced into the sports sphere and is being used in the production of sporting equipment. Carbon fiber is essentially used as a reinforcement material. To quote a common definition of carbon fiber, “Carbon fiber is a material consisting of thin, strong crystalline filaments of carbon, used as a strengthening material in resins and ceramics.”
It’s no wonder that there has been a spike in the sales of equipment such as skis, snowboards, tennis racquets, golf clubs, cycle bikes, and water sports equipment that are made of carbon fiber.
See Also iPhone Security Tips: Protect Your Phone From Hackers
Why Opt for Carbon Fiber?
With advancements in technology, carbon fiber sports equipment production has become swift, agile, and economical. This has led to an increase in demand for the same. Also, the fact that carbon fiber is as flexible as carbon sheets makes it the perfect choice for manufacturers to get experimental.
Advantages of Carbon Fiber in Sports Goods
While carbon fiber and carbon nanotubes are all set to revolutionize the sports equipment industry, here’s a brief look at some of the advantages of the former:
- Resistant to corrosion
- Application liberty
- Superior mechanical properties
- Robust plasticity
- Tenacious resistance to aging
- Lighter than aluminium and steel
- Small coefficient of thermal expansion
- Low mass
- Design convenience
See Also What are the features of the Best Graphics Card?
Here we will answer the five W’s of the carbon fiber usage in sports equipment market.
- What is the size of the market?
- As per Next Move Strategy Consulting’s deep dive analysis it was valued at $330 million in 2021 and is estimated to reach $529.76 million by 2030 at a CAGR of 5.4% during the forecasted years.
- Which are the main sports goods for which carbon fiber is used?
- Hockey sticks
- Golf shafts
- Fishing poles
- Where would the market observe an exponential growth?
- Asia-Pacific, due to the presence of key market players in the region that have innovated products leaving the customers demanding more.
- Who are the five main players in the carbon fiber in sports goods market?
- Teijin Carbon
- Zoltek Carbon Fiber
- Toray International, Inc.
- Mitsubishi Rayon
- Why have companies shifted their focus to using carbon fiber in sports goods?
- Developments in technology and newly gained knowledge about carbon fiber has made manufacturers realize how outdated their sports equipment was. With continuous research, product launches, and a general nod of approval from customers globally, these manufacturers believe – and for good cause – that they have made the right decision.
With the advent of carbon fiber into the world of sporting equipment, not just athletes, but non-athletes too benefit to an astounding extent. With equipment becoming lighter, a user can swing, hit, or glide easier than they did with traditionally made equipment. Safety has been the ultimate goal of every person, since time immemorial. While robots help people work safe, we definitely needed carbon fiber to help us play safe!