Last Updated on March 19, 2022 by Rashid Hassan
Roku is a streaming platform that streams media digitally to watch free and paid video content on your TV. It helps you to shows, movies, series, and even music on various platforms like Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, etc., via the Internet. In addition, many publishers are getting vast opportunities to grow their potential audience with Roku in the TV world.
Roku’s operating system permits users to access with a simple or minimal setting for setup & connection like a PC via the Internet for media streaming. Hence, managing internet streaming content requires three types of Roku devices- Roku Box, Roku Streaming Stick & Roku TV.
Roku inspires many people to grow as developers due to its advanced technique and global popularity. If you are looking up how to become a Roku developer, foremost, you must know how to set it up. To help you in this, we have enclosed this article with the important parameter to set up Roku. So read the full details carefully.
- 1 Overview Setup Required For Developing On The Roku platform
- 2 Key points to set up the Roku development environment
- 2.1 Solution 1: Set up your Roku device to enable Developer Settings
- 2.2 Solution 2: Steps to Access the Development Application Installer
- 2.3 Solution 3: Running samples
- 2.4 Solution 4: Examine channel Over Developer Settings
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 Related Amazon Products
Firstly, By using the standard web browser, it uploads the developing channels on the Roku device and waits to turn it into development mode.
As the development mode empowered, the device followed to host a web page for your channel installation. For all the above installation process, it requires a set of three devices to get started on developing a channel; read here:
- Roku Box: This device acts as a pathway in building a connection between the internet and your devices. It fastens the internet connection via your broadband router through either Ethernet or wireless technology. You just need an HDMI and are ready to directly connect with your TV or home theater to explore the experience.
Note: You require a Roku account to activate your device & explore the entertainment experience.
- Roku Streaming Stick: It is used to have built-in Wi-Fi for connection to a broadband router. It is bigger than the USB flash drive and plugs directly into an HDMI receiver input of your TV or home theater.
- Roku TV: It is a compact solution to watch video content on your TV. However, you need not require any box or stick to operate your internet streaming content because Roku tv is already enclosed with such operating system. Hassle-free, Tv connects with cyberspace via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Hisense, Insignia, Hitachi, TCL, and Sharp are some Tv brands that offer Roku TVs in their product line. You will get a wide variety of Roku TVs with many screens sizes (20p, 1080p, and 4K Ultra HD versions).
Key points to set up the Roku development environment
- Firstly, enable the Developer Settings by setting up Roku devices.
- Upload & follow the installation process of the sample channel to get access to the Development Application Installer.
- Now, start the run process for a sample channel.
- In the end, check for proper channel installation by using Developer Settings.
Follow the given sequence given here on Roku remote to enable Developer Settings.
- First, click on the Restart button, prompted to continue the process on your screen.
- Once you complete the installation, carefully check the License Agreement to finish the process.
Note: You can visit here docs.roku.com/doc/developersdk/en-us to review full text.
- When the device is set up on your local area network, a confirmation message popup to set a password for the Roku device. Hence, set the password to enable the developer setting.
Solution 2: Steps to Access the Development Application Installer
- First of all, you have to Reboot the web browser. Afterward, open it and write the Roku device’s URL (i.e. http://192.168.x.x).
- Afterward, a connection message pops up on your screen:
“You have successfully connected to your Roku device with Developer Settings enabled.”
After completing the Roku device Developer Settings successfully,
Now understand the next process to utilize the Development Application Installer. To do so, install a sample on your device & follow the steps to run it on your screen.
Note: Visit the given link to practice. Download here the Roku sample channels
If you already have the zip file use it; otherwise, turn the sample channel into a zip file. Now, use the Development Application Installer to install and follow the steps to upload a zip file on your Roku device. Hence, the channel is sideloaded directly and automatically prompted on the ‘My Channels’ bottom row.
Note: The setting of the sideloaded channel will be done only once. If you try to load an additional channel, it will be replaced by the previous one on the device. So make sure to choose the channel carefully.
Also, if you reinstall a similar channel version installed before, you might encounter an error message. So, first, delete the channel and then only start reinstalling.
If you want to practice the installation process on your Roku device, we advise you to download the sample ‘Hello World channel’ on a computer first. Your TV screen shows the “Hello World!” sample channel. Afterward, start the run process on the device, and you can see “Hello World!”.
The channel’s sideloading process only allows channels contained in a ZIP file (.zip) through the Application Installer page. You can only package it once you sideloaded your channel to your device. So, check “Packaging channels” for more about a package file (.pkg). Here, Roku assigns a signed package file by the medium of the Channel Store.
You might see some flash storage issues as the limitation of channels is 4MB, which is maximum in size.
There is various example that includes makefiles that automatically install the channel.
- Use this Makefile
- Keep the makefile & the app.mk in the similar directory.
- Start run “make install” once you setup the environment variables
Note: Moreover, to debar specific files, change the “ZIP_EXCLUDE” line in the makefile.
You will ger various tools in Developer Settings that play a vital role in Roku channel development. Some of them are:
- Package Inspector
- Screenshot Utility
- BrightScript Profiler
- Rekey Utility
Due to the trending demands of Roku developers worldwide, most people are showing interest in Roku Development. Hence, Becoming a Roku developer could be possible if one must know the entire setup procedure correctly. We have discussed the step-by-step instruction to develop an environment for Roku. Hopefully, the information mentioned above helps you enable the developer settings on Roku devices without any hassle.