Last Updated on
The world has made a lot of progress when it comes to the internet and websites availability, ever since 30 April 1993, when CERN put the World Wide Web software in the public domain. But, still have we able to accomplish all thought process in our internet related world, or still there are some loopholes left behind.
There has been lots of development in how our websites can be developed and how it looks well. But is there anything left behind to achieve more in the internet world. The world all over has been developing the websites full of customization and advanced features, but how many of those websites are made for the visually impaired ones.
- 1 Population of blind people in the World
- 2 American Foundation for The Blind – Websites for the Blind
- 3 National Federation for The Blind – Websites for the Blind
- 4 Royal National Institute for the Blind – Websites for the Blind
- 5 BRL: Braille Through Remote Learning – Websites for the Blind
- 6 ACB Radio – Websites for the Blind
- 7 The Braille Superstore – Websites for the Blind
- 8 LS & S – Websites for the Blind
- 9 Humanware – Websites for the Blind
- 10 How would you build websites for the blind?
- 11 What are Websites for the Blind and Visually Impaired?
Let us give you an insight over the blind people. Globally, it is an estimate that approximately 1.3 billion people live with either of any form of vision impairment. Out of this number, around 36 million people are complete blind all over the world, out of which the age group of people who are blind ranges from the age of 50 years and more. With the percentage may not be quite significant as compared to the world population (over 7.3 billion), the number (36 million) is still quite considerable.You will be amazed to know that “Not one 2020 candidate has a website that is accessible to the blind” as stated and published at the internet journal regarding the US Presidential Elections. [/perfectpullquote]
How many of us have targeted those blind people with our websites? How many of us have made things simpler while browsing internet and websites for the blind. In fact how many of us know websites for the blind that can serve their purpose?
Let’s check out websites for the blind, if they really exist!
We went through several websites to know, if they are blind friendly, but couldn’t find out many of those. There’s not much to add to the data when it comes to the websites for the blind, but still we would like to add some of the websites, which can be helpful to the visually impaired users:
Visit Link: https://www.afb.org/
Extending possibilities for the people with vision loss, the American Foundation for The Blind is an American non-profit organization which is well-known for its association with Helen Keller.
Visit Link: https://nfb.org/
Another name in the websites for the blind, which is the largest and oldest membership organization of blind people in the United States.
Visit Link: https://www.rnib.org.uk/
A charitable organization, and another name in the list of the Websites for blind people, which is based in the UK and is the portal which offers lots of tips, advice, lifestyle management links and welfare schemes etc for the blind people.
Visit Link: http://www.brl.org/
The website is dedicated to the courses and remote learning for the teachers, parents, social workers, and all braille transcribers with a series of integrated online courses in braille and braille transcribing.
Visit Link: http://www.acbradio.org/
In the list of the Websites for blind users ACB Radio, a project of the American Council of the Blind, streams via the internet, and offers up to date and relevant information across the world for the blind and to the people who have low vision. It also offers programming produced by blind programmers, and also is a platform where blind musicians and artists express their talents.
Visit Link: http://www.braillebookstore.com/
The website offers access to the huge collection of Braille books, games, toys, kitchen aids and talking products.
Visit Link: https://www.lssproducts.com/
Get multiple products at this online store for the blind, visually impaired and deaf users.
Visit Link: http://www.humanware.com/en-asia/home
Another name in the list of websites for the blind, where products are being sold for the blind and visually impaired users.
Let’s check out the effective ways on how you would build Websites for the blind people. Check out the important elements, which you would consider while designing websites for the blind users.
- pictures need to have Caption
- You need to have the self describing buttons
- Button text must be specific for example, use ‘detailed description’ rather than ‘more’.
- Use large and simple fonts (while this may not be helpful for the blind people, still you can help out many half blind users, or those who have difficulty in their vision)
- High contrast
- Use of alt text in images, which can be used by the vision assist software for the interpretation of the image for the visually impaired users.
- While, designing websites for the blind, you can also assist people having color blindness with the use of white and black fonts instead of colors filled websites.
While, we are looking to explore lots of websites for the blind, we urge our readers to help us out in expanding the list of websites for the blind. Contribute us with the inputs of names of websites for the blind, which can really add value to the visually impaired users!
What are Websites for the Blind and Visually Impaired?
Check out the list of Websites for the Blind and Visually Impaired:
- American Foundation for The Blind
- National Federation for The Blind
- Royal National Institute for the Blind
- BRL: Braille Through Remote Learning
- ACB Radio
- The Braille Superstore
- LS & S